by Marko Judia
Tuo Zaafi is a loved meal in Ghana, there is a secret with Ghanaian dishes, they contain a variety of mixes, including grains, herbs and vegetables, and meat. This cuisine is mainly compounded with corn, vegetable leaves (Cassava leaves) and meat.
Since this cuisine completes with corn, production of said item in the country is taking the top cereals productivity.
Maize producing areas in Ghana are Eastern, Ashanti and Brong Ahafo regions that account for over 80% of total maize production in Ghana
Although Maize production is of that high, it only depends with small scale cultivation with seasonal rains, that counts for low productivity when it comes to worldwide maize production comparison.
Preparation with this dish will have a high probability of being conducted anywhere in the world as it’s ingredients are easy to find. Welcome as we take a lead toward this cuisine, a healthy one.
Preparation of this cuisine will need us to go step wise, start with meat, vegetable and stiff porridge at last.
For meat these will be required;
- 1/4 kg of meat (here we’ll use chicken meat)
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- 2 Onions
- Curry powder
For Vegetable we’ll collect the followings;
- 1/4 kg of Cassava leaves (3 handy bunches)
- peanut butter
- 2 onions
For the sake of stiff porridge, we only need 1/2 kg of corn flour and 1/4 kg of cassava flour.
Meat (Chicken roast):
- Marinate well meat with the mix of curry powder, grinned garlic of about 2 teaspoons, vinegar and salt. Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Fry meat until golden color appears as seen in picture.
- Take pan and start to fry onions until brownish, add tomato paste, cook for 2 minutes, then add meat. Cook for 2 minutes to mix it well. Add tomato sauce and boil for 5 minutes less.
- Put in a clean pot and cover it from cooling.
- Wash, clean and grind cassava leaves well to soft.
- Boil them for 30 minutes.
- Chop in onions and salt. Add in 3 teaspoons of grinned garlic, also add in oil. Keep boil for 10 minutes.
- Add in peanut butter of about 5 teaspoons, keep boil for 5 minutes more. The softness symbolize readiness.
- Boil water of about 5 cups.
- Add in flour, by starting with corn flour then top up with cassava flour.
- Start to stir while mixing it.
- Mixing process may take about 10 minutes less depending on amount of heat supplied. Make sure all flour mixes well with water to form a soft yet tough stiff porridge.
After these simple preparation steps, one must have say that the cuisine is ready for meal. Take each in pots or mix them altogether, all is appreciable, enjoy.