by Tanomba Thati
Somalia is located on the eastern part called as the horn of Africa, it is bordering the Gulf of Aden in north, Ethiopia in west and Indian Ocean in the east. The country borders Kenya to the southern part.
Halwa (also known as Halwo) is a known cuisine among countries occupied by Arab traditions since it is prepared in very special occasions like Ramadan, weddings or national cerebration. It is prepared from the mix of sugar, corn starch and water, to give very delicious result of Halwa.
There are plenty styles of preparing Halwa like;
Let us prepare our cuisine from Somalia, the corn starch Halwa.
Prepare the followings
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups of brown sugar
- 5 cups of water
- 1 cup of cornstarch
- ghee or oil
- 1/2 tbsp of saffron powder
- Heat up a pan, a cup of water.
- Add sugar and stir until sugar dissolves, boil the mix for some minutes.
- Mix corn starch with saffron powder, add into the boiling mix of sugar. Turn to medium heat level.
- Once you notice sticking with the pan, start to add oil while stirring, until it separate from the pan. (adding oil process may take about 30 minutes)
- Keep oiling until the mix no longer sticks with the pan. Add cardamon about 2 teaspoons, mix.
- Put the Halwa in a clean oiled plate, leave it to cool. Before it cools longer cut it into favor pieces.
- Taste the cuisine from Somalia.