By Dahiza Umar
What is falooda
Falooda is a dessert served cold having many components like ice cream/ kulfi, rose syrup, falooda special vermicelli/ sev, thickened milk, khoya, jelly, nuts and a special thing soaked chia seeds.
All things get assemble in a bowl or a glass by making layer or just mix all well and serve. I don’t think such a colourful dessert need any sort garnishing but in Pakistan it is served in small clay pot that is a traditional way of serving falooda.
Origin of falooda
Falooda is ice cold dessert famous in ASIA especially India and Pakistan.
When it comes to the history of Falooda, it is actually originated by Iran, somehow is the question how it comes to INDIAN SUBCONTINENT. When we went to the era of Mughal empire. Many merchants trade from Iran to Subcontinent, they serve the Persian dessert to the Mughal. And this dish is adapted by Muslims by having the variations related to their taste.
FALOODA IN PAKISTAN
In Pakistan, a city KASUR where the falooda is all Pakistan’s favourite and very famous. Falooda is served in summers or even in winter. As we know sweet is the symbol of celebration and festive. It is served in restaurants and even on streets in Pakistan. Any occasion like special dawat (grand meal), summer parties,as a dessert is served. I think there is no time for having sweet so enjoy as you can.
- Ice cream/ kulfa 6 scoops
- Milk 1 litre
- Sugar 4 tablespoon
- Rose syrup 4 tablespoon
- Vermicelli boiled 1 cup
- Soaked chia seeds 4 tablespoon
- Chopped nuts as required
- Strawberry jelly 8 tablespoon
- First you have to soak chia seeds it take time to become gelatinous. As shown in picture soaked seeds are gelatinous.
- Now make boil vermicelli as another element of falooda.
- Take milk in a pan and add sugar to it. Now bring it to boil and simmer it for 10 to 15 minutes so it may thick. And cool it
- Now take all the elements on a slap like ice cream, milk, soaked chia seeds, rose syrup, jelly and nuts.
- Take a glass and add rose syrup in the end than add chia seeds and vermicelli.
- Now add milk on the top with jelly and nuts.
- On the top add a scoop of ice cream and serve
Servings: 4 glasses
Preparation time: half hour
Carbohydrates: 190 calories
Protein: 42 calories
Fats: 40 calories
A glass of falooda gives you 20% of total daily calories requirement.